We’re thrilled to announce that the nation’s premier one-of-a-kind traveling culinary competition and tasting event, COCHON 555, is making its way to Washington D.C. March 23 for its sixth anniversary. Five competing chefs will be in attendance in addition to five wineries and one of our personal favorites, Goose Island Beer Co. This event is designed to tout the flavor and benefits of eating heritage breed pigs – known for their rich and hearty taste of their meat, distinct marbling, bacon flavors and creamy fat.
This year the competing chefs include Nathan Anda (Red Apron Butcher), Erik Bruner-Yang (Maketto), Mike Friedman (The Red Hen), Dylan Fultineer (Rappahannock Restaurants) and Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Ripple). Each chef will be preparing six individual dishes from a whole heritage breed pig for the competition for a total of 1,200+ pounds of pork goodness. The winner, determined by attendees will move on to compete in the Grand Cochon at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen in June.
But, the fun doesn’t end there! Adam Musselman (Red Apron Butcher) will butcher a whole pig for the crowd as a way of celebrating their sixth tour. Before dessert and awards guests will have the opportunity to enjoy preparations in a late-night Asian Speakeasy style by way of Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia) and Scott Drewno (The Source). Additional event perks include The Goose Nest – a selection of Goose Island Beer Co’s beers and Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Prosciutto di Parma ranging between 14 and 30 months, “Punch Kings” cocktail competition between five barkeeps and presented by Breckenridge Bourbon, TarTare Bar featuring Creekstone Farms with Tarver King of Patowmack Farm, and a Swine & Sweets signature ice cream course.
If you plan to attend make sure to sign up for the COCHON 555 newsletter for a chance to win some great prizes. Prizes include a VIP trip to the Rioja Wine & Tapas Festival in New York City, or more than $3,000 in prizes from their partners, including a Smart-Scoop Ice Cream Maker from Breville, a La Caja China from Williams-Sonoma and 2 VIP tickets to any Cochon event in 2014. Tickets for the COCHON 555 event are available online for $125 per person (general admission) or $200 for VIP.
*Update: The official judges for the Cochon 555 event have been announced. Here’s who to expect: Eric Ziebold (CityZen), Scott Drewno (The Source), Nick Stefanelli (Bibiana), Wes Morton (Affinia), Nycci Safier Nellis (The List Are You On It), David Guas (Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery), Craig Rogers (Borders Spring Farm), Richie Brandenburg (Edens), Haidar Korum (Estadio, Proof), Lauren DeSantis (Capital Cooking), Mike Isabella (Graffiato), Kyle Bailey (Birch & Barley), Sam Hiersteiner (New Profit Inc.), Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia), Suzanne Wolcott (Goose Island), Heather Roth (L’Academie de Cuisine), and Peter Chang (Peter Chang’s China Grill).
When: March 23, 4pm-8pm (VIP) or 5pm-8pm (GA)
Where: Union Market – 1309 5th St NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Cost: $200 VIP or $125 (GA)
* All photos courtesy of Galdones Photography/COCHON 555
- 52 Places to Ring In The New Year: Special Menus, Live Music, Open Bars & Parties - December 21, 2014
- In Defense of “Hipsters Taking Pictures of Food”: Keep Calm and Photograph On - December 17, 2014
- Give The Gift of a Relaxing Holiday: Christmas Eve and Christmas 2014 Dining Destinations + Bonus “To Go” Options - December 12, 2014
- Don’t Show Up Empty Handed: Food Gifts From DC Chefs & Restaurants for Your Favorite Holiday Host - December 10, 2014
- Dark Chocolate Honey-Almond Biscotti Recipe: Sponsored by PASCHA Chocolate - December 4, 2014
- Holiday Gift Guide 2014: 10 Books to Buy for Your Favorite Home Cook - November 19, 2014
- Come for the Food, Stay for the Fight: Capital Food Fight Raises More than $700,000 for DCCK - November 17, 2014
- In the Kitchen with Nonna’s Kitchen: Newly Opened on U Street – Journey to Tuscany with Chef Justus Frank’s November Tasting Menu - November 12, 2014
- Chef Bart Vandaele Joins Norwegian Seafood Council Culinary Advisory Panel: Offers Nordic Tasting Menu at B Too - November 10, 2014
- Drop Those Grocery Lists, Pots & Pans – Relax This Thanksgiving With Dining-Out Options in DC - November 5, 2014