We’re thrilled to announce that the nation’s premier one-of-a-kind traveling culinary competition and tasting event, COCHON 555, is making its way to Washington D.C. March 23 for its sixth anniversary. Five competing chefs will be in attendance in addition to five wineries and one of our personal favorites, Goose Island Beer Co. This event is designed to tout the flavor and benefits of eating heritage breed pigs – known for their rich and hearty taste of their meat, distinct marbling, bacon flavors and creamy fat.
This year the competing chefs include Nathan Anda (Red Apron Butcher), Erik Bruner-Yang (Maketto), Mike Friedman (The Red Hen), Dylan Fultineer (Rappahannock Restaurants) and Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Ripple). Each chef will be preparing six individual dishes from a whole heritage breed pig for the competition for a total of 1,200+ pounds of pork goodness. The winner, determined by attendees will move on to compete in the Grand Cochon at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen in June.
But, the fun doesn’t end there! Adam Musselman (Red Apron Butcher) will butcher a whole pig for the crowd as a way of celebrating their sixth tour. Before dessert and awards guests will have the opportunity to enjoy preparations in a late-night Asian Speakeasy style by way of Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia) and Scott Drewno (The Source). Additional event perks include The Goose Nest – a selection of Goose Island Beer Co’s beers and Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Prosciutto di Parma ranging between 14 and 30 months, “Punch Kings” cocktail competition between five barkeeps and presented by Breckenridge Bourbon, TarTare Bar featuring Creekstone Farms with Tarver King of Patowmack Farm, and a Swine & Sweets signature ice cream course.
If you plan to attend make sure to sign up for the COCHON 555 newsletter for a chance to win some great prizes. Prizes include a VIP trip to the Rioja Wine & Tapas Festival in New York City, or more than $3,000 in prizes from their partners, including a Smart-Scoop Ice Cream Maker from Breville, a La Caja China from Williams-Sonoma and 2 VIP tickets to any Cochon event in 2014. Tickets for the COCHON 555 event are available online for $125 per person (general admission) or $200 for VIP.
*Update: The official judges for the Cochon 555 event have been announced. Here’s who to expect: Eric Ziebold (CityZen), Scott Drewno (The Source), Nick Stefanelli (Bibiana), Wes Morton (Affinia), Nycci Safier Nellis (The List Are You On It), David Guas (Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery), Craig Rogers (Borders Spring Farm), Richie Brandenburg (Edens), Haidar Korum (Estadio, Proof), Lauren DeSantis (Capital Cooking), Mike Isabella (Graffiato), Kyle Bailey (Birch & Barley), Sam Hiersteiner (New Profit Inc.), Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia), Suzanne Wolcott (Goose Island), Heather Roth (L’Academie de Cuisine), and Peter Chang (Peter Chang’s China Grill).
When: March 23, 4pm-8pm (VIP) or 5pm-8pm (GA)
Where: Union Market – 1309 5th St NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Cost: $200 VIP or $125 (GA)
* All photos courtesy of Galdones Photography/COCHON 555
- Passport 2-for-1 Drink Program Comes to DC + Launch Party May 20 - May 11, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Grand Trunk: Savor 1,600 miles of South Asian Cuisine in 1 Quick Serve Menu - April 30, 2015
- Products With A Purpose: 5 Food-Related Earth Friendly Products For Conscientious Consumers - April 6, 2015
- Art Institute of Washington Introduces GETCreative Courses for Teens & Adults + Goat Cheese Ice Cream Recipe - March 12, 2015
- Union Market to Host Cochon 555 Heritage Pig Culinary Competition March 22, 2015 - March 9, 2015
- W Hotel DC’s New Root Cellar Whiskey Bar Offers Happy Hour 5-8pm Monday through Friday - February 12, 2015
- IMUSA Chinese New Year Steamed Veggies & Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe - February 2, 2015
- Curried Stone Crab Risotto Recipe: Sponsored by RSVP International - February 2, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Medium Rare: The Best Brunch Deal In The District - January 28, 2015
- Waterfront Station Hosts First SOUP-er Bowl Competition & Taste-off January 24 - January 21, 2015