We’re thrilled to announce that the nation’s premier one-of-a-kind traveling culinary competition and tasting event, COCHON 555, is making its way to Washington D.C. March 23 for its sixth anniversary. Five competing chefs will be in attendance in addition to five wineries and one of our personal favorites, Goose Island Beer Co. This event is designed to tout the flavor and benefits of eating heritage breed pigs – known for their rich and hearty taste of their meat, distinct marbling, bacon flavors and creamy fat.
This year the competing chefs include Nathan Anda (Red Apron Butcher), Erik Bruner-Yang (Maketto), Mike Friedman (The Red Hen), Dylan Fultineer (Rappahannock Restaurants) and Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Ripple). Each chef will be preparing six individual dishes from a whole heritage breed pig for the competition for a total of 1,200+ pounds of pork goodness. The winner, determined by attendees will move on to compete in the Grand Cochon at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen in June.
But, the fun doesn’t end there! Adam Musselman (Red Apron Butcher) will butcher a whole pig for the crowd as a way of celebrating their sixth tour. Before dessert and awards guests will have the opportunity to enjoy preparations in a late-night Asian Speakeasy style by way of Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia) and Scott Drewno (The Source). Additional event perks include The Goose Nest – a selection of Goose Island Beer Co’s beers and Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Prosciutto di Parma ranging between 14 and 30 months, “Punch Kings” cocktail competition between five barkeeps and presented by Breckenridge Bourbon, TarTare Bar featuring Creekstone Farms with Tarver King of Patowmack Farm, and a Swine & Sweets signature ice cream course.
If you plan to attend make sure to sign up for the COCHON 555 newsletter for a chance to win some great prizes. Prizes include a VIP trip to the Rioja Wine & Tapas Festival in New York City, or more than $3,000 in prizes from their partners, including a Smart-Scoop Ice Cream Maker from Breville, a La Caja China from Williams-Sonoma and 2 VIP tickets to any Cochon event in 2014. Tickets for the COCHON 555 event are available online for $125 per person (general admission) or $200 for VIP.
*Update: The official judges for the Cochon 555 event have been announced. Here’s who to expect: Eric Ziebold (CityZen), Scott Drewno (The Source), Nick Stefanelli (Bibiana), Wes Morton (Affinia), Nycci Safier Nellis (The List Are You On It), David Guas (Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery), Craig Rogers (Borders Spring Farm), Richie Brandenburg (Edens), Haidar Korum (Estadio, Proof), Lauren DeSantis (Capital Cooking), Mike Isabella (Graffiato), Kyle Bailey (Birch & Barley), Sam Hiersteiner (New Profit Inc.), Jeffrey Buben (Vidalia), Suzanne Wolcott (Goose Island), Heather Roth (L’Academie de Cuisine), and Peter Chang (Peter Chang’s China Grill).
When: March 23, 4pm-8pm (VIP) or 5pm-8pm (GA)
Where: Union Market – 1309 5th St NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Cost: $200 VIP or $125 (GA)
* All photos courtesy of Galdones Photography/COCHON 555
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with Rosa Mexicano’s Guacamole de Otoño Recipe - October 21, 2014
- Taste of DC 2014 Hosts Cochon 555 Heritage BBQ Tour - October 15, 2014
- British Airways: Dine With Class in New Airbus A380 & Dulles Lounge - October 13, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Marvin: Redemption Found In New Fall Menu - October 10, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Pinea: Southern Europe & Mediterranean Inspired - October 7, 2014
- In The Kitchen with Policy: Truth, Love, Liberty…and Brunch + Shrimp & Grits Recipe - September 24, 2014
- Five Reasons to Read “The Food Fighters: DC Central Kitchen’s First 25 Years on the Front Lines of Hunger & Poverty” by Alexander Justice Moore - September 22, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Rosa Mexicano: Celebrating 30-Year Anniversary With Special Rotating Desde 1984 Menu - September 15, 2014
- Zaytinya to Celebrate Grape Harvest Season with 4th Annual Grape Festival - September 11, 2014
- Satellite Room: Who Needs Salad When There’s Tots - September 3, 2014