Did you know there is such a thing as “National Ceviche Day”? Yeah, we didn’t either. SURPRISE! Thankfully Cuba Libre knows what’s what and prepared for guests a flight special of three ceviches available through June 29. The official National Ceviche Day is June 28.
Guests can sample the creations of James Beard Award winning Chef Guillermo Pernot for a mere $12. The Ceviche Flight includes Shrimp (Cuban style shrimp cocktail with Latino coctel and avacado salsa), Mixto (Lightly poached shrimp, Baja Bay scallops and squid. Fresh coconut water, chiles, citrus, Thai basil and cucumber salsa with coconut chips.) and the new Mushroom (a trio of seasonal wild mushrooms marinated in citrus, blackened chiles and tomatoes with tropical chips). All three ceviches are available individually on the menu priced $7.50 to $11.50.
One can’t live on ceviche alone, and a rum bar wouldn’t be a rum bar without…say it with us… rum. Good job. You all get a gold star for the day. Cuba Libre boasts a rum menu of more than 80 varieties. The mojitos, a house specialty, are made from guarapo (sugar cane juice pressed daily in-house), fresh lime juice, a splash of soda and hierba buena. And, flavors can be added to any mojito to customize it to your liking. We opted for the Pyrat XO (Pyrat XO Rum, hierba buena, guarapo, fresh lime juice, splash of soda) with pomegranate flavor. We’ve known for awhile now that Cuba Libre makes a mean drink when we stopped in during the DC Marti Party in March. Margarita to mojito, you can’t go wrong.
We live by the motto, “Never waste an opportunity to have dessert.” We also live by the motto, “Never commit alcohol abuse by spilling or leaving your drink unfinished.” So, take that for what you will. We can proudly say we “walked the walk” at Cuba Libre and ate our way through the gorgeous Torta de Queso Crema (Tahitian vanilla cheesecake: Toasted pecan crust, Mixed berry compote & Chocolate-almond salad) while we finished up our mojito.
As a quick recap, the ceviche flight special ends on the 29th (although we kinda wish it was available permanently). We think it’s also a great excuse to get your rum on this weekend, because… rum. And remember kids, there’s ALWAYS room for dessert.
*Call or ask your server about Cuba Libre’s Mojito and Ceviche interactive class coming up on August 6 and 7 priced at $49 per person.
801 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001
- W Hotel DC’s New Root Cellar Whiskey Bar Offers Happy Hour 5-8pm Monday through Friday - February 12, 2015
- IMUSA Chinese New Year Steamed Veggies & Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe - February 2, 2015
- Curried Stone Crab Risotto Recipe: Sponsored by RSVP International - February 2, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Medium Rare: The Best Brunch Deal In The District - January 28, 2015
- Waterfront Station Hosts First SOUP-er Bowl Competition & Taste-off January 24 - January 21, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Nonna’s Kitchen: Goodbye Tuscany, Hello Piedmont - January 20, 2015
- 52 Places to Ring In The New Year: Special Menus, Live Music, Open Bars & Parties - December 21, 2014
- In Defense of “Hipsters Taking Pictures of Food”: Keep Calm and Photograph On - December 17, 2014
- Give The Gift of a Relaxing Holiday: Christmas Eve and Christmas 2014 Dining Destinations + Bonus “To Go” Options - December 12, 2014
- Don’t Show Up Empty Handed: Food Gifts From DC Chefs & Restaurants for Your Favorite Holiday Host - December 10, 2014