Did you know there is such a thing as “National Ceviche Day”? Yeah, we didn’t either. SURPRISE! Thankfully Cuba Libre knows what’s what and prepared for guests a flight special of three ceviches available through June 29. The official National Ceviche Day is June 28.
Guests can sample the creations of James Beard Award winning Chef Guillermo Pernot for a mere $12. The Ceviche Flight includes Shrimp (Cuban style shrimp cocktail with Latino coctel and avacado salsa), Mixto (Lightly poached shrimp, Baja Bay scallops and squid. Fresh coconut water, chiles, citrus, Thai basil and cucumber salsa with coconut chips.) and the new Mushroom (a trio of seasonal wild mushrooms marinated in citrus, blackened chiles and tomatoes with tropical chips). All three ceviches are available individually on the menu priced $7.50 to $11.50.
One can’t live on ceviche alone, and a rum bar wouldn’t be a rum bar without…say it with us… rum. Good job. You all get a gold star for the day. Cuba Libre boasts a rum menu of more than 80 varieties. The mojitos, a house specialty, are made from guarapo (sugar cane juice pressed daily in-house), fresh lime juice, a splash of soda and hierba buena. And, flavors can be added to any mojito to customize it to your liking. We opted for the Pyrat XO (Pyrat XO Rum, hierba buena, guarapo, fresh lime juice, splash of soda) with pomegranate flavor. We’ve known for awhile now that Cuba Libre makes a mean drink when we stopped in during the DC Marti Party in March. Margarita to mojito, you can’t go wrong.
We live by the motto, “Never waste an opportunity to have dessert.” We also live by the motto, “Never commit alcohol abuse by spilling or leaving your drink unfinished.” So, take that for what you will. We can proudly say we “walked the walk” at Cuba Libre and ate our way through the gorgeous Torta de Queso Crema (Tahitian vanilla cheesecake: Toasted pecan crust, Mixed berry compote & Chocolate-almond salad) while we finished up our mojito.
As a quick recap, the ceviche flight special ends on the 29th (although we kinda wish it was available permanently). We think it’s also a great excuse to get your rum on this weekend, because… rum. And remember kids, there’s ALWAYS room for dessert.
*Call or ask your server about Cuba Libre’s Mojito and Ceviche interactive class coming up on August 6 and 7 priced at $49 per person.
801 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001
- In The Kitchen with Policy: Truth, Love, Liberty…and Brunch + Shrimp & Grits Recipe - September 24, 2014
- Five Reasons to Read “The Food Fighters: DC Central Kitchen’s First 25 Years on the Front Lines of Hunger & Poverty” by Alexander Justice Moore - September 22, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Rosa Mexicano: Celebrating 30-Year Anniversary With Special Rotating Desde 1984 Menu - September 15, 2014
- Zaytinya to Celebrate Grape Harvest Season with 4th Annual Grape Festival - September 11, 2014
- Satellite Room: Who Needs Salad When There’s Tots - September 3, 2014
- Tasty6 Brings Healthy Performance Foods & Cold-Pressed Juices to DC - August 29, 2014
- The Road Less Traveled – Maine Shown Through @EpicureanDC_Blog Instagram Photos - August 27, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Slate Wine Bar & Bistro: From Pauper to Prince – A Well Deserved Second Chance - August 26, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Station 4: Season by Season We Have To Help Our Farmers + Recipe - August 4, 2014
- Chefs Behind Bars’ Happy Hour Goes for Round 2 Benefitting No Kid Hungry - July 28, 2014