June came and went, and July has come in blazing. As the heat rises and you look for places to quench your thirst, keep in the back front of your mind that July is Tequila Month! In usual fashion, El Centro has embraced tequila and created some tequila inspired items for the month of July.
As we walked out on to El Centro’s back patio, the heat hitting our faces as soon as we stepped outside, we were greeted by two refreshing drinks, a special Pineapple & Sage and Grapefruit, Lime, and Lemongrass House-Made Tequila infusions. A lovely combination of sweet and tangy, we were pleasantly surprised out how these drinks packed the punch without an over-bearing tequila taste.
- Next, we sampled El Centro’s new appetizer, the Grilled Shrimp Ceviche, with citrus-chile broth, grapefruit, cucumber, jicama red onion, and frozen margarita afloat. For anyone who is hesitant to try this unique flavor, challenge yourself to try it out! This ceviche is very light and fruity, while the shrimp is wonderfully tender.
- We moved over to the carving station to find the second new item, the Reposado Tequila Cured & Smoked Pork Tenderloin, paired with roasted corn, epazote, poblano rajas-potato puree, and salsa. Although I am a food lover, my affinity towards pork at times is mostly “Eh, okay”. This pork dish had me going up for seconds, along with asking the chef, “How do you do this? Can you make this for me every day? PLEASE?!” Alas, he refused my offer, however, the combination of the creamy, deliciously smooth poblano pepper mashed potatoes and the tequila braised pork had me considering if I could re-locate to inside El Centro.
- Lastly, the Dolcezza Anejo Tequila Gelato absolutely stole the show. There are two varieties, caramel, and berries, which ever you chose is entirely up to you, the result from both is the same. Delicious, and dangerously crisp, the gelato on the house-made Mexican chocolate waffle cone had us in a daze. With a light after taste of tequila, this was by far our favorite dish from the tasting. Also, what could be more perfect than tequila and gelato on a sunny day in July?
We’re a little behind getting all of the event information posted, however there are still more things coming up this month. We’re most excited about the second “Meet the Maker” dinner on July 21 where guests will have the opportunity to meet representatives from the world’s leading tequila companies between 6pm and 8pm. Priced at $69 per person, dinner begins with a private reception featuring passed hors d’oeurves and tequila cocktails followed by a three-course dinner. Guests can also expect a gift bag on their way out. Seating is limited. For availability and tickets: Living Social.
On July 28 join El Centro D.F. in Georgetown for their National Tequila Month party from 5pm-8pm. Priced at only $39 per person guests will receive three drink tickets and access to an extensive buffet including dishes such as carnitas, brisket and nopal tacos, mini chorizo empanadas, chicken tinga flautas, mini mushroom quesadillas, and open-face tortas. Tickets are available on LivingSocial.
El Centro D.F.
1819 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009
- Family Friendly DC VegFest Saturday September 20th at Yards Park - September 18, 2014
- In The Kitchen with Tico: Capturing Global Cuisine with an American Core - August 26, 2014
- In The Kitchen with America Eats Tavern: The Story of America’s Culinary Pilgrimage - August 25, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Ulah Bistro: Eat Drink & Be Merry At Brunch - August 8, 2014
- El Centro Celebrates Tequila Month with a Festival of Events - July 16, 2014
- In The Kitchen With TKO Burger: Pound-For-Pound In The Burger Ring - July 3, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Campono: Wood-Fired Pizzas and House-Made Gelato - May 22, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Boundary Road: Local Farm Fresh Ingredients Featured In New Spring Menu - May 9, 2014
- May Flowers Bring The Gibson Patio Opening & Spring Menu Debut at Marvin - May 7, 2014
- RedLight Cocktail & Dessert Bar Opens on 14th Street - April 25, 2014