Indian Spiced Chicken Legs with Chick Peas & Spinach
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 TBSP – Olive Oil
- 6 – Bone-In Chicken Legs (Skin removed)
- 1 TBSP – Salted Butter
- 1 – Large Onion (Sliced Thin. Can add more onion if desired.)
- 4 – Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1 TBSP – Powdered Ginger
- 2 Tsp – Coriander
- 2 Tsp – Cumin
- 2 Tsp – Turmeric
- ¼ Tsp – Cayenne Pepper
- 15 oz – Chickpeas (1 can rinsed)
- 2 cups – Chicken Broth (Add more if needed)
- 5 oz – Baby Spinach (Approx. 8 lightly packed cups)
- ¼ Cup – Cream
- ¼ Cup – Fresh Cilantro (Optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Move rack to bottom of oven.
- In a large pot (preferably oven safe) over medium-high heat up the oil.
- Season chicken with salt, and cook in batches in the oil 8-10 minutes until all sides are golden brown. Reduce heat as needed.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Add onions, butter, and any drippings to the pot. Cook 10-15 minutes until onions are soft and golden brown. Season with salt as desired.
- Stir in spices until fragrant. (Approximately 1 minute.)
- Add chickpeas, stir all together, and add chicken w/ juices. Bring to a simmer.
- If not using an oven safe pot, transfer chicken into an oven safe dish with lid.
- Braise chicken until fork can easily remove the meat from the bones. Approximately 50 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter and cover.
- Removed from heat, add spinach to the pot, cover, and allow to wilt 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Slowly reheat the liquid & add chicken back to the pot.
- Serve hot with white/basmati rice.
- Passport 2-for-1 Drink Program Comes to DC + Launch Party May 20 - May 11, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Grand Trunk: Savor 1,600 miles of South Asian Cuisine in 1 Quick Serve Menu - April 30, 2015
- Products With A Purpose: 5 Food-Related Earth Friendly Products For Conscientious Consumers - April 6, 2015
- Art Institute of Washington Introduces GETCreative Courses for Teens & Adults + Goat Cheese Ice Cream Recipe - March 12, 2015
- Union Market to Host Cochon 555 Heritage Pig Culinary Competition March 22, 2015 - March 9, 2015
- W Hotel DC’s New Root Cellar Whiskey Bar Offers Happy Hour 5-8pm Monday through Friday - February 12, 2015
- IMUSA Chinese New Year Steamed Veggies & Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe - February 2, 2015
- Curried Stone Crab Risotto Recipe: Sponsored by RSVP International - February 2, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Medium Rare: The Best Brunch Deal In The District - January 28, 2015
- Waterfront Station Hosts First SOUP-er Bowl Competition & Taste-off January 24 - January 21, 2015