Dating back to the time of the Aztecs, the Day of the Dead Mexican holiday celebrates and honors friends and family members who have departed with offerings of food, drinks and gifts. This year, Oyamel plans to honor Rodolfo Huerta, Mexico’s legendary luchador wrestler, and actor, along with the Day of the Dead. Lucky for the living, Oyamel is throwing a Celebration on Monday October 20th from 6:00 PM to 9:30PM, and even luckier for us, we were given a sneak preview. Needless to say, Oyamel knows three things: food, drinks, and how to throw a party.
Hosted by the infamous Chef José Andrés and his culinary team, with the official sponsor El Luchador Tequila, a plethora of drinks and meals were feature. For the adventurous souls, we suggest the Ancas de Rana en Mole Verde, frog legs served over a green mole of tomatillos and serrano chilliest. If you want a more traditional food choice, we could not get enough of the Puerco en Chile Morita , a local pork spare ribs braided and lacquered in a salsa of chipotle chile morita, or Huatape de Hongos, a green chileatole-style of wild, foraged mushrooms served over an herbaceous sauce of epazote, and jalpeno. Packed with flavor, served on a freshly made tortillas ( and we mean fresh, I watched in a combination of amazement and pure hunger) I nearly toppled over people to get thirds ( yes, you read that right, thirds.)
Most of all, the debut of the Luchador tequila was something that really stole the show. The El Santo contar los Zombies, made with El Luchador Organic Tequila, orange liquer, orange, lemon and pomegranate was a refreshing drink that paired well with all the rest of the small plates. Definitely on the fruity side, however, if you are looking for something a little bit stronger, may we suggest the The Witches Attack made with El Luchador Blanco Organic Tequila, grapefruit-lavender mint syrup and soda.
Tickets are being sold for $60 dollars and can be purchased via nvite. Between the good food, drinks, live band, and general fun atmosphere, we give this event our stamp of approval.
*All photos courtesy of Dan Swartz
401 7th St, NW
Washington, DC 20004
- iPic Theaters Opens in North Bethesda: Affordable Luxury Movie Theater Experience - November 17, 2014
- Nage Bistro Debuts Monday Gourmet Burger Night: Bringing Soul to the Recipe - November 14, 2014
- Oyamel Cocina Mexicana to Host 8th Annual Day of the Dead Celebration - October 14, 2014
- Jaleo: A Celebration of 10 Years with José Andrés - September 29, 2014
- Family Friendly DC VegFest Saturday September 20th at Yards Park - September 18, 2014
- In The Kitchen with Tico: Capturing Global Cuisine with an American Core - August 26, 2014
- In The Kitchen with America Eats Tavern: The Story of America’s Culinary Pilgrimage - August 25, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Ulah Bistro: Eat Drink & Be Merry At Brunch - August 8, 2014
- El Centro Celebrates Tequila Month with a Festival of Events - July 16, 2014
- In The Kitchen With TKO Burger: Pound-For-Pound In The Burger Ring - July 3, 2014