Although the name “RedLight” acknowledges U Street’s seedy origins, Aaron Gordon, Robert Underwood, and brothers Ari and Micah Wilde’s new restaurant provides a sleek, sophisticated, and perfect after dinner scene. As you walk into RedLight, you will notice the grand 44 seat patio with beautiful mini-gardens ( just in time to enjoy the lovely spring weather), inside, a sleek concrete bar where you can clearly see all your drinks and desserts being made. The atmosphere was very much relaxed and intimate, with tables ranging from being able to seat 10 to small 2 seat tables. Opening the menu, there is a plethora of cocktails all with playful names such as “The Madame” and “Double Down”. Some of our favorites included:
- Peep Show is sweet concoction of cucumber, black tea, ginger, and charred rosemary. Emphasis on charred, as you will witness one of the bartenders set the rosemary on fire right in front of you with an industrial size blow torch.
- The Dude is an adult milk-and-cookies for two. With a whole swatch of alcohol like vodka, rum, cognac, egg cream, and mole cacao bitters, this milkshake will knock you right off your feet, just be sure to chow down on the blueberry and white chocolate cookies before your date does!
- Street Corner Girl, one of the many “Racy Bubbles” cocktails that are offered is a mix of rum, Kalani coconut liquor, lemon, champagne, and lavender bitters that is light, fruity, and so easy to drink that the bottom of the glass appears before you realize. Gipsy Eyes, another Racy Bubble cocktail was knock you out of your chair delicious. Light with a mild hint of cherry, one should picture a sophisticated bohemian flair.
- RedLight boasts beautifully fabulous desserts, and their Milk Chocolate Crunch Cake delivers. With its brûléed bananas, butterscotch sauce, and passion fruit gelato, it is hard to decide which part of this tasty dessert to try first.
- The Goat Cheese Custard with Lake Anna honey, crispy quinoa has some to die for pineapple gelato. Not your average custard, we found it denser and milder in flavor, but adored the pairing of all of the plate components.
Beginning April 28, RedLight will be offering early and late night Happy Hour options. Monday through Sunday come in between 4-7 for early Happy Hour. Or, Sunday through Wednesday take that special someone out to dinner, then swing by for late night hours from 11pm to close. Happy Hour includes half price on most featured libations, some half price savory dishes including Fondue for Two, Cheese Straws, and a Select Cheese Board, a daily featured dessert, $1.75-$6 beers, wine and Champagnes by the glass from $3.50 to $6.50, and the Wilder brother’s “Three Horseman” cocktails at half price.
1401 R St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
- Oyamel Cocina Mexicana to Host 8th Annual Day of the Dead Celebration - October 14, 2014
- Jaleo: A Celebration of 10 Years with José Andrés - September 29, 2014
- Family Friendly DC VegFest Saturday September 20th at Yards Park - September 18, 2014
- In The Kitchen with Tico: Capturing Global Cuisine with an American Core - August 26, 2014
- In The Kitchen with America Eats Tavern: The Story of America’s Culinary Pilgrimage - August 25, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Ulah Bistro: Eat Drink & Be Merry At Brunch - August 8, 2014
- El Centro Celebrates Tequila Month with a Festival of Events - July 16, 2014
- In The Kitchen With TKO Burger: Pound-For-Pound In The Burger Ring - July 3, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Campono: Wood-Fired Pizzas and House-Made Gelato - May 22, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Boundary Road: Local Farm Fresh Ingredients Featured In New Spring Menu - May 9, 2014