In our humble opinion, we think the holidays are meant to be spent with friends and family. What better way to gear up for Christmas day than socializing with loved ones over exceptional food and drink? We’ve compiled a list of places in the D.C. area who are offering Christmas Eve specials for those who want to relax and enjoy the evening before the typically hectic festivities begin:
- Executive Chef Tony Conte of the 701 Restaurant is offering up an innovative approach to modern American cuisine this Christmas Eve along with live jazz throughout the night. Guests can choose from a la carte menu items or request the three-course, prix fixe holiday menu for $55 per person available from 5pm to 10pm. Diners can expect a variety of dishes including Rockfish with Garlic Broth, Rapini and Chili Oil; Butternut Squash Agnolotti with Apple, Pumpkin Seed and Sage; Roasted Pork Loin with Red Cabbage Spaetzle, Mustard Greens and Apple; Crispy Duck Breast with Mole, Farro and Turnip; Seared Scallops with Parsnip, Rutabaga and Bacon Marmalade and Butternut Squash Salad with Miso, Lemon Yogurt, and Asian Pear. Don’t forget to order dessert. 701 Restaurant will have several festive options. Valet parking is also available for $8.
Reservations: (202) 393-0701
Location: 701 Pennsylvania Ave., NW 20004
- Ardeo+Bardeo is offering the best of modern American cuisine with their $50 per person 3-course prix fix Christmas Eve dinner created by Executive Chef Matt Kuhn. Dishes from the menu will include Celery Root & Potato Soup with Butter Poached Lobster, Brioche Croutons and Foie Gras Butter; Pork Terrine with Dijonaise, Pickled Turnips and Rustic Bread; Grilled Hanger Steak with Farro Risotto, Charred Broccoli, Egg 63 and Truffled Pecorino, as well as Agrumato Poached Icelandic Char with Beet-Potato Puree, Brick Oven Leeks and Skuna Caviar Sauce. The Christmas Eve prix fix dinner will be served from 5pm to 11:30pm. Valet parking is limited after 6pm and costs $8 per car.
Reservations: (202) 244-6750
Location: 3311 Connecticut Avenue, NW, 20008
- Executive Chef Nicholas Stefanelli at Bibiana Osteria-Enoteca is preparing a “Feast of Seven Fishes” available from 5pm to 9:30pm for $65 per person. The feast will feature fish and pasta following in the Roman Catholic tradition of avoiding the consumption of meat on holy days. Feast dishes will include Grilled Eel with Onion Compote and Red Wine Vinaigrette; Fried Shrimp with Calamari, Smelts, Oysters, Cauliflower and Lemon; Black Spaghetti with Catalina Island Sea Urchin and ‘Aglio Olio D Peperoncino’, as well as Seared Cod with Tomatoes, Olives, Raisins, Capers, Pine Nuts with Olive Oil Crusted Potatoes. Bibiana Osteria-Enoteca will also have a limited a la carte menu available. Valet parking is available for $8.
Reservations: (202) 216-9550
Location: 1100 New York Ave, NW, 20005
- For only $59 per person for a 3-course prix fix holiday menu available during both lunch and dinner service, one should head to the French oasis, Bistro Vivant. Their regular a la carte menu will also be available to diners on Christmas Eve. Executive Chef Katie Busch will showcase authentic flavors of traditional French cuisine with dishes including Almond Crusted Lemon Sole with Haricot Vert and Parsnip Purée; Roasted Pork Loin with Bacon Braised Beet Greens, Chanterelles, Butternut Squash and Sauce Soubise, Prime Filet Mignon with Roasted Heirloom Baby Carrots, and Pommes Macaire and Sauce Aux Poivre.
Reservations: (703) 356-1700
Location: 1394 Chain Bridge Road in McLean, VA, 22101
- Blue Duck Tavern is taking a farm fresh route this Christmas Eve and showcasing some favorites. Executive Chef Sebastien Archambault will have his seasonal a la carte menu available in addition to several holiday specials served from 5:30pm to 10:30pm. If you can’t make it in on Christmas Eve, Blue Duck Tavern is also offering a buffet style brunch on Christmas Day. Fixed price brunch menu is $95 for adults, and $42 for children between the ages of 6 and 11. Children younger than 6 are complimentary.
Reservations: (202) 419-6755
Location: 24th and M Streets, NW, 20037
- If you don’t want to venture into the city, Old Town, Alexandria has some fantastic Christmas Eve options.BRABO by Robert Weidmaier is offering a 3-course Christmas Eve menu for $65 per person. Chef de Cuisine Harper McClure has prepared traditionally inspired dishes including Chestnut-Foie Gras Soup with Maitake Mushrooms, Chopped Hazelnut, with Brandy Cream; and Goose Two Ways with Roasted Breast, Confit Leg, Glazed Root Vegetables, with Asian Pear and a Spiced Ginger Jus. Dessert includes Pastry Chef Erin Reed’s Christmas Yule Log with Hazelnut Sponge, Mocha Cream and Eggnog Ice Cream.
Reservations: (703) 894-3440
Location: 1600 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314
- Sometimes it’s nice to stay home on Christmas Eve, and luckily for ya’ll who like a good brunch, Firefly is serving one up from 9am to 2pm. Guests can expect Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes or Eggs Benedict and $3 Mimosas or $4 Bloody Mary’s. Make your way back to Firefly for their Christmas Eve special dinner where their servers will be vying for the crowd’s ugly sweater favorite. Firefly is also offering a complimentary glass of bubbly to their dinner guests.
Reservations: (202) 861-1310
Location: 1310 New Hampshire Ave NW, 20036
- While we’re not exactly sure what is being served, you can at least bank on Jackson 20 serving Christmas Eve brunch from 7am to 2:30pm and a special Christmas Eve dinner from 5pm to 8pm.
Reservations: (703) 842-2790
Location: 480 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314
- The Grille at Morrison House is also offering a “Feast of Seven Fishes” for $85 per person from 5pm to 8pm on Christmas Eve. Chef Brian McPherson is presenting feast dishes that include an Amuse with Sea Urchin Roe and Lotus Root; Patagonian Red Prawn Thermidor with Anson Mills Polenta; Loup de Mer with Fingerling Potato “Scales,”; and Viognier Poached Hen Egg with Fennel and Caviar. Head back to The Grille for brunch on Christmas for only $50 per person. (Kids are $25, and children under the age of 5 are free.) The Christmas brunch menu will include holiday options in addition to the restaurant’s regular duck-press brunch items, including Figgy Pudding Beignets; Escargot Wellington with Mushroom Duxelle, and Herb Garlic Butter; Puff Pastry and Lovage; and Pan Perdue with Brioche, Fresh Berries and Warm Virginia Maple Syrup.
Reservations: (703) 838-8000
Location: 116 S Alfred St, Alexandria, VA 22314
- Something about Christmas screams dessert. Perhaps it’s that rollie-pollie Santa character, or the fact that knows Christmas isn’t Christmas without cookies, egg nog, and pastries. Luckily for those with a sweet tooth nopa Kitchen & Bar has some incredible sounding festive desserts for those who prefer to order dessert before their entrees. Obviously they’ll have dinner available too, but it’s the desserts that have caught our attention. Pastry Chef Jemil Gadea has dreamed up Fried Pies; a Chocolate Bar with Peppermint Ice Cream; Sweet Potato Crème Caramel with Persimmon Pudding and Spiced Chantilly Crème; Apple Strudel with Almond Ice Cream, and the Pain d Epices with Caramelized Pears and Ginger Beer Ice Cream. nopa is open Christmas Eve from 5pm to 9:30pm with $10 valet parking available.
Reservations: (202) 347-4667
Location: 800 F Street, NW, 20004
- From 5:30pm to 10pm The Oval Room is offering a 3-course prix fix menu for $55 per person or $90 with wine pairings. The special menu, prepared by Executive Chef Tony Conte, features favorites such as Sauteed Foie Gras with Ginger Bread, Serano and Black Pepper Yoghurt; Nantucket Bay Scallops with Crispy Rice and Cranberry; Butternut Squash Soup with Crème Fraiche, Sorghum and Allspice; Lump Crab Salad with Blackened Banana and Pumpkin Lime Relish; Rockfish with Smoked Onion, Brussels Sprouts, Bacon Vinagrette; and Prime Beef with Heirloom Pumpkin, XO, with Juices of Butternut and Carrot. Valet parking is available at The Oval Room for $8.
Reservations: (202) 463-8700
Location: 800 Connecticut Avenue, NW, 20006
Want to be added to the Christmas Eve Dining Guide? Email me at Rebekah@EpicureanDC.com with your information!
- Passport 2-for-1 Drink Program Comes to DC + Launch Party May 20 - May 11, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Grand Trunk: Savor 1,600 miles of South Asian Cuisine in 1 Quick Serve Menu - April 30, 2015
- Products With A Purpose: 5 Food-Related Earth Friendly Products For Conscientious Consumers - April 6, 2015
- Art Institute of Washington Introduces GETCreative Courses for Teens & Adults + Goat Cheese Ice Cream Recipe - March 12, 2015
- Union Market to Host Cochon 555 Heritage Pig Culinary Competition March 22, 2015 - March 9, 2015
- W Hotel DC’s New Root Cellar Whiskey Bar Offers Happy Hour 5-8pm Monday through Friday - February 12, 2015
- IMUSA Chinese New Year Steamed Veggies & Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe - February 2, 2015
- Curried Stone Crab Risotto Recipe: Sponsored by RSVP International - February 2, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Medium Rare: The Best Brunch Deal In The District - January 28, 2015
- Waterfront Station Hosts First SOUP-er Bowl Competition & Taste-off January 24 - January 21, 2015