Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with your family and friends. We were so busy over the holidays that they sure did seem to fly by. All that hard work and preparation and POOF! It’s over. Do you still have your decorations up? We just packed up our tree yesterday, and I was sad about it. I loved having the twinkle of the lights make our living room glow.
We ate so much good food over the holidays, and I had time to develop some new recipes too. This Cranberry Buttermilk Cake was one of them! This is a simple cake and takes no time at all to bake, but its presentation is beautiful. Fresh cranberries tossed in sugar make the top of the cake sparkle. It’s tender and moist and the cranberries give it just a touch of tartness. It’s great for breakfast or as a dessert, which to me makes it the perfect winter cake!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ⅔ cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a round cake pan with a tablespoon or so of room temperature butter. In a small bowl, stir together the cranberries and the two tablespoons of sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together the ⅔ cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla, then add in the cooled butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the cranberries on top. Sprinkle any remaining sugar from the bowl over the top of the berries. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes or so before serving.
- Cranberry Buttermilk Cake Recipe - January 6, 2015
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe - October 26, 2014
- Chocolate Espresso Glazed Doughnuts Recipe - October 2, 2014
- California BLT Croissant Recipe - September 16, 2014