Calling all Vegans and Vegetarians! DC Vegfest is coming to Yards Park, and we were lucky enough to grab a sneak peak this past week. For those who are unfamiliar with VegFest (like we were), it is an annual, family friendly (yup you can bring the kids – there will be activities for the munchkins) FREE vegetarian festival that aims to highlight how delicious it is to choose vegetarian foods. And if you are one of the first 1,000 people to attend, make sure you make your way to the info booth to claim a free swag bag filled with tons of goodies from event sponsors and exhibitors.
The festival is hosted by Compassion Over Killing - a national nonprofit animal protection organization based in DC, with a second location in Los Angeles, working to end animal abuse since 1995. While we’re not strictly vegan/vegetarian here at EpicureanDC, we understand how important our food is, and how it’s cultivated. We’d love nothing more than to see every animal treated with the respect they deserve. Plus, we think we’re all in agreement that there are some pretty gnarly veggie dishes that could blow a steak out of the water…or would that be “off the grill”?
VegFest’s preview was held at the always lovely Busboys & Poets. There, they provided a buffet of vegan appetizers, such as the Coconut Tofu Bites, Egyptian Foole Dip, their new Vegan Sliders, Vegan Satay, and their classic Hummus. Although both the Egyptian Foole Dip and Hummus proved to be very complimentary to the warm pita, our favorite item was the Coconut Tofu Bites, which we made sure to soak in the plum-red pepper sauce. Although foods featured were an assortment of bean quinoa burgers, teriaki tofu skewers, and grilled eggplant bites. All in all, we were impressed that a place that serves burgers can also have such a great and diverse vegan friendly menu.
Additional vendors at the VegFest sneak peek included South Block Juice Co, Joy Bliss Raw, Charm School Chocolates, Rescue Bar, Better Bean, Dr. Bronners, Vegan Treats, and Conscious Corner. Brownies were supplied by Sticky Fingers, vegan sausage supplied by Tofurky, the cheese and fruit platter hosted Treeline Nut cheese, and Bread and Brew supplied beer. Make sure you keep an eye out for some of these guys this Saturday.
355 Water St SE, Washington, DC 20003
11:00am to 6:00pm
- iPic Theaters Opens in North Bethesda: Affordable Luxury Movie Theater Experience - November 17, 2014
- Nage Bistro Debuts Monday Gourmet Burger Night: Bringing Soul to the Recipe - November 14, 2014
- Oyamel Cocina Mexicana to Host 8th Annual Day of the Dead Celebration - October 14, 2014
- Jaleo: A Celebration of 10 Years with José Andrés - September 29, 2014
- Family Friendly DC VegFest Saturday September 20th at Yards Park - September 18, 2014
- In The Kitchen with Tico: Capturing Global Cuisine with an American Core - August 26, 2014
- In The Kitchen with America Eats Tavern: The Story of America’s Culinary Pilgrimage - August 25, 2014
- In The Kitchen With Ulah Bistro: Eat Drink & Be Merry At Brunch - August 8, 2014
- El Centro Celebrates Tequila Month with a Festival of Events - July 16, 2014
- In The Kitchen With TKO Burger: Pound-For-Pound In The Burger Ring - July 3, 2014