Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 Cups – All Purpose Flour
- 4 TBSP – Sugar
- 1 Tsp – Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP – Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp – Salt
- ½ Cup (1 Stick) – Butter Softened
- 1.25 Cups – Buttermilk Substitute (Divided into 1 cup and ¼ cup.)
- 1 – Egg
- ¼ Cup – Butter Melted
- *Note: To make a buttermilk substitute combine 1 cup of milk with 1 TBSP of vinegar or lemon juice (I like lemon juice best). Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir thoroughly and then use in place of buttermilk. (For every quarter cup of milk use ¾ teaspoons.)
- Heat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine to the flour mixture with softened butter, egg, and buttermilk substitute. This can be done by hand or by using a dough hook.
- Once fully combined, turn dough out into a lightly floured work surface and kneed slightly. I find that my large bamboo cutting board works really well.
- Create a ball shape with the dough and place on a baking sheet.
- Using a knife, cut an X shape into the top of the dough. It doesn’t need to be more than a quarter inch deep.
- Combine the final ¼ cup of buttermilk substitute with the melted ¼ cup of butter and brush all over the outside of the dough.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. (55 minutes would probably have been perfect, but 60 didn’t burn the bread, and it was still soft.) Bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Passport 2-for-1 Drink Program Comes to DC + Launch Party May 20 - May 11, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Grand Trunk: Savor 1,600 miles of South Asian Cuisine in 1 Quick Serve Menu - April 30, 2015
- Products With A Purpose: 5 Food-Related Earth Friendly Products For Conscientious Consumers - April 6, 2015
- Art Institute of Washington Introduces GETCreative Courses for Teens & Adults + Goat Cheese Ice Cream Recipe - March 12, 2015
- Union Market to Host Cochon 555 Heritage Pig Culinary Competition March 22, 2015 - March 9, 2015
- W Hotel DC’s New Root Cellar Whiskey Bar Offers Happy Hour 5-8pm Monday through Friday - February 12, 2015
- IMUSA Chinese New Year Steamed Veggies & Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe - February 2, 2015
- Curried Stone Crab Risotto Recipe: Sponsored by RSVP International - February 2, 2015
- In The Kitchen With Medium Rare: The Best Brunch Deal In The District - January 28, 2015
- Waterfront Station Hosts First SOUP-er Bowl Competition & Taste-off January 24 - January 21, 2015